What should i know before purchasing an inverter?
1.There are several important things you need to know before buying an inverter
- Why you need inverter ?
- What size of inverter do you need ?
- What type of inverter ? Pure sine wave or modified sine wave?
- What type of battery should be used with your power inveter
- Before buying inverter, we should know our daily consumptions like juse of the Bulbs,, Ceiling Fans, TV, Refrigerator, Air conditions, Mixer and water cooler etc. As we know these appliances consume electricity and it is measured in watts. So we should know daily total consumption form these electronics devices.
To understand it better, we would use below example:
Suppose you have below appliances in given specifications.
2 TV =300 W
6 Bulb =300 W
2 Ceiling Fans=100 W
Total consumption = 700 W
Please note 1 W=1 V but it factor 0.8.
So if you need of 700 W, so you need to buy 875 V inverter
Now there are many companies who manufacture inverter, so there so many brands of inverter in market for your choice.
According to the above principles, now you have an idea of how many watts you need, also you can refer to the How can I choose a proper power inverter for my own use? to calculate the total Watts.
About the inverter type, Pure Sine wave and Modified Sine wave, it is according to what kind of appliances you want to use. please refer to the following:
Advantages of Pure Sine Wave Inverters over modified sine wave inverters.
1. Output voltage wave form is pure sine wave with very low harmonic distortion and clean power like utility-supplied electricity.
2. Inductive loads like microwave ovens and motors run faster, quieter and cooler.
3.Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio, amplifiers, TV, Games consoles, Fax,and answering machines.
4.Prevents crashes in computers, weird print out, and glitches and noise in monitors.
5. Reliably powers the following devices that will normally not work with modified sine wave inverters:
- Laser printers, photocopiers, magneto-optical hard drives
- Certain laptop computers (you should check with your manufacturer)
- Some fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts
- Power tools employing “solid state” power or variable speed control
- Some battery chargers for cordless tools
- Some new furnaces and pellet stoves with microprocessor control
- Digital clocks with radios
- Sewing machines with speed /microprocessor control
- X-10 home automation system
- Medical equipment such as oxygen concentrators.
Modified Sine Wave works well for most uses, and is the most common type of inverter on the market, as well as the most economical, Pure Sine Wave inveters(also called True Sine Wave ) are more suited for sensitive electrical or electronic items such as laptop computers, stereos, laser printers, certain specialized applications such as medical equipment, a pellet stove with an internal computer, digital clocks, bread makers with mulit-stage timers, and variable speed or rechargeable tools (see “Appliance Cautions “). If you wish to use those items with an inverter,then choose a Pure Sine wave inverter. If you mostly wnat to run lights, TV, microwave oven, tools, etc, a Modified Sine Wave inverter is fine for your needs.